The AMC 8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple choice examination in middle school mathematics designed to promote the development of problem-solving skills. The AMC 8 provides an opportunity for middle school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers. Students apply classroom skills to unique problem-solving challenges in a low-stress and friendly environment.
Competition Date: November 13, 2018
The MAA’s American Mathematics Competitions (MAA AMC) program aims to strengthen the mathematical capabilities of the next generation of problem-solvers. Through classroom resources and friendly competition, the MAA AMC program helps America’s educators identify talent and foster a love of mathematics. The MAA AMC program positively impacts the analytical skills needed for future careers in an innovative society.
The American Mathematics Competitions are a series of examinations and curriculum materials that build problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge in middle and high school students.
- American Mathematics Competition 8 (AMC 8): AMC’s middle school level competition
- American Mathematics Competition 10/12 (AMC 10/12): AMC’s high school level competition
- American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME): AMC’s invitational competition for high scoring AMC 10/12 participants
- United States of America Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO) and United States of America Junior Mathematical Olympiad (USAJMO): AMC’s top invitational competition for high scoring AIME participants
- The Putnam Competition: An annual mathematics competition for undergraduate college students in the United States and Canada