Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs are one way that New York City supports the educational needs of exceptional students. Students entering kindergarten through third grade can participate in G&T Admissions by taking the G&T Test.
Who can take the G&T Test?
- Families with children who are currently in pre-K through second grade.
- Current New York City residents.
- Current students at public district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEEC), charter schools, private schools, and parochial schools.
- Students with Disabilities are encouraged to take the G&T Test. All G&T programs are expected to welcome and support all students in accordance with their Individualized Education Programs (IEP).
- English Language Learners (ELL) participate in the same G&T Admissions process as students whose first language is English.
- Students in Temporary Housing (STH) are encouraged to participate in G&T Admissions even if their housing situation is uncertain.
- Students who are currently attending District G&T programs can test to apply to Citywide G&T programs. Students who are currently attending Citywide G&T programs are not eligible to test for a different G&T placement.
According to the NYC DOE G&T Handbook:
There are two types of Gifted & Talented programs:
- District G&T programs give an Admissions Priority to students who live in a particular district. These programs are offered within district elementary schools. Students in these programs take G&T classes together in major subject areas but may share other classes with students who are not in the G&T program. G&T Test score needed to apply: 90 or above
- Citywide G&T schools accept students from all boroughs and give no Admissions Priority for any district of residence. Every student in these schools is enrolled in the school-wide G&T program. G&T Test score needed to apply: 97 or above
Sign Up to Test for G&T Programs
The deadline to submit the Request for Testing (RFT) was November 13. If you missed the deadline and your child will be in grades pre-K-2 during the 2018-2019 school year, you can sign up to take the test for the 2019-2020 school year in fall 2018.
Testing for the 2018-2019 school year will take place in January. You should have received your test date confirmation letter in December. If you submitted the RFT form by the deadline and did not receive your test date confirmation, you can email ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov or call 718-935-2009.
Prepare for the G&T Test
Use the practice test in the back of the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook to prepare for the test—learn the types of questions your child may see on the test and help prepare them for the test-taking experience. You can also find out about testing in languages other than English in the Handbook.
Contact the Office of Assessment if you have questions about testing accommodations or appeals.
- Call 212-374-6646
- Email ServiceCenter@schools.nyc.gov
Click here to to learn more about G&T Programs in New York City public schools